Before the heating
- Buildings with furnaces should be put in order and chimneys should be cleaned before intensive heating;
- On furnaces or near them one must not dry and hold firewood and other combustible materials, to leave opened the doors of a firebox;
- To prevent charcoal that is dropped out of a furnace fire chamber from burning the floor, a slab of tin must be nailed onto it or a fireproof foundation must be built;
- Do not leave the house when a furnace or gas stove is burning, and do not trust young children to look after it.
During the heating
While fuel is burning in a furnace, there is a risk of poisoning from carbon monoxide. This gas is especially dangerous – it has neither colour nor smell, so it can result in death. Please observe certain rules to avoid getting poisoned:
- After heating the furnace, do not shut the damper until the furnace has cooled down;
- You can shut it completely once you are sure that smoulder is over.
It is important to have carbon monoxide detector installed in the bedroom and other living rooms.
Signs of poisoning with carbon monoxide are the following: slight dizziness, drowsiness, fainting. Immediately take anyone that has been poisoned with carbon dioxide outdoors and call emergency number 112 as soon as possible; ventilate the rooms properly.
Using electric heating devices
- It is dangerous to plug multiple electrical appliances into the power supply simultaneously because the wiring will be overloaded, the wires will heat up, and there can be a short circuit and even a fire;
- Electric heating devices should be placed far from curtains and furniture;
- Do not leave drying clothes on electric heating devices;
- Do not forget to turn off electric heating devices before leaving home;
- Before using manufacturer’s electric heating devices, read the instructions carefully;
- Acquire and install smoke detectors (alarms) which would warn about fire risk.
In addition, home-made electric heaters comprise a major cause of fires. They are often the reason for fires in building carriages, small garden houses and garages.
To prevent loss of lives and so that firefighters could come to the rescue in time, provide access for fire engines to buildings, water, reservoirs, hydrants, do not block their vehicles, and come out to meet them in the distant countryside.
Using gas heaters
- While using gas appliances, it is necessary to follow technical instructions and recommendations written by the manufacturer;
- While installing gas appliances at home, the house shall have installed LPG alarm and automatic gas shut-off valves;
- Premises equipped with gas appliances shall be ventilated. There shall be an opening window (to the outside) or window with air vents and doors.
Remember that using gas heater (similar as using a furnace) may be dangerous because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Therefore, at least the bedroom should have an installed detector.
Note that there is a possibility of explosion in the event of gas leak (if gas accumulate in the air)!
How to behave when you smell gas in premises?
- Cover your nose and mouth with wet cloth or handkerchief;
- Shut off gas valve, turn off gas appliance;
- Open windows and doors so that fresh air flow inside;
- Do not light a fire or strike matches, do not smoke;
- Do not turn on electrical devices and switches;
- If gas smell is still in the air, immediately call gas emergency service by calling 1804. Use your phone only where there is no gas smell observed or simply in a gas-clean environment.
- If gas smell spread in the block of flats, warn neighbours not to use open flame and electrical bells/alarms;
- Make sure that people being close to gas leakage immediately go outside;
- Wait for emergency services outside.